By Friend tutor posted on July 10,2020
Hi friends in this blog let us see the major similarities and differences between macro nutrients and micro nutrients
- Both Macro and Micro Nutrients are required for the proper functioning of the body.
- Both Nutrients are present in all Fruits,Vegetables and Milk and Meat Products.
- Both Nutrients boost our immune system.
Difference between Macro nutrients and Micro nutrients
|Macro Nutrient||Micro Nutrient|
|Nutrients that are required by our body in large amounts are called Macro Nutrients||Nutrients that are required by our body in small amounts are called Micro Nutrients.|
|Macro Nutrients are Carbohydrates, Proteins and Fats.||Micro Nutrients are Vitamins and Minerals.|
|Examples: Carbohydrates: Rice, Potatoes, wheat, Chapati etc Proteins: Meat, Eggs, Fish etc. Fats: Butter, Ghee, Milk Dairy Products etc.||Examples: Vitamin A : Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potato Vitamin C: Lemon, Oranges etc. Minerals: Calcium: Milk and Dairy products etc. Potassium: Banana, Oranges etc. Iron: Liver of Chicken and Lamb, Dates, etc|
Difference between Macro nutrients
|Carbohydrates are made up of simple sugars such as Glucose.||Proteins are made up of Amino acids.||Fats are made up of Fatty acids and glycerol|
|Carbohydrates are sugars which gives instant energy to our body.||Proteins help our body to grow built muscles, blood and skin.||Fats are energy reserves of our body. They keep our body warm.|
|Carbohydrates are also known as “Energy giving|
|Proteins are also known As “Body Building foods”||Fats are also known as “Energy giving foods” “Energy Reservoirs”|
|Carbohydrates are soluble in water.||Some Proteins are soluble Some are partially soluble and some are insoluble in water.||Fats are insoluble in water.|
Carbohydrate rich foods are Rice, Wheat, Cereals, Potatoes, honey etc.
|Protein rich foods are Meat, Fish, Eggs, Nuts etc||Fats are rich in Milk, Butter Cheese, Cream etc.|
Similarities In Micro Nutrients
- Vitamins and Minerals are Micro Nutrients.
- Both are “Protective Foods”
- Both are needed by our body in small amounts.
- Both if not taken properly,can lead to deficiency diseases.
- Deficiency of Vitamin A leads to Night blindness.
- Deficiency of Iron leads to Anemia.
- Both are needed for proper functioning.
- Ex: Calcium is absorbed by our body only when there is sufficient Vitamin D.
Difference between Micro Nutrients
|1.||Vitamins are |
|Minerals are Simple|
|Minerals are not be |
destroyed by heat.
|3.||Vitamin A rich in|
rich in Citrus Fruits.
| Essential minerals are |
Similarities in Water and Roughage
- Both Water and Roughage are required for proper digestion of Food.
- Both helps the body to send out waste.
- Both prevents Constipation.
Difference between Water and Roughage
|1.||Two third of our body|
is made up of water.
| Roughage also called as “Fiber”.|
They are present in all plant groups.
It is part of food that body cannot digest.
|2.||Watermelon contain |
|Examples of Fiber rich foods|
Fruit and Vegetables.
This marks the end of this session. For more post check out link below. Thanks
For more post
Food and Nutrients points to remember
Similarities and differences in Food and Nutrients
Terminology and prevention of infectious diseases